First Act Finale: Patrick Martin Week 11 PPJ

 

This is finally the end of the term.

Beginning the week, there was a lot of stress over the group final presentation. I had worked on it for a decent amount of time before our meeting on Monday with professor Wagner. That meeting didn’t go well and as a team we worked for about 6 hours to fix it.In the end, that work particularly paid off and we ended up having a pretty good presentation on Tuesday.

Outside of that, it is finals week and I personally have been particularly focused on making sure to get everything set up and turned in before the due dates. Therefore, I wasn’t particularly helpful with production this week. On the good side, in the digm meeting and the Full group meeting we managed to figure out where we were going more solidly and were using the criticism we received at the presentation constructively.

 

Breakdown:

Fixing the presentation – 7 hours

Meetings – 1h Wagner
1.5h Digm meeting
2h Full group meeting

PPJ – .5h

Total: 12 hours

Good: We managed to get the presentation turned around very quickly and finish the term with a good final.

Bad: It is finals week and I was not as productive as I could have been.

Advertisements

Jordie PPJ Week 11

The end of the term. This week we decided as a team the next direction we’re going which means the work I was previously doing was not longer necessary so I stopped the meaningless work of finishing up the archeologist since the art assets were being scrapped anyhow.

Hours Breakdown:

Meetings:

• Wagner meeting (prior to presentations) – (1 hr)

• I missed the digm meeting, caught up later

• Team meeting (2 hrs)

• Presentation reworking (5 hrs)

Work:

•Created a five page document outlining my approach to sprite creation from the start with a flat character image all the way to spine for skinning, animating, and back into photoshop for final touches and optimization. (4 hrs)

Total hours: 12 hrs

Positive:

 

-We fixed our presentation from what we presented to Wagner on Monday; while we stumbled slightly during our presentation it was overall successful. The questions thrown at us were questions we had the answers to but in the moment failed to explain.

-We have a giant plan of what we’re doing next term, over break, and how we’re going to move forward! Very positive.

-Had an entire team meeting where we got major design decisions for next term knocked out. Everyone seems excited to work on our game again.

-The entire team played a version of mafia at the end of our meeting which was really fun

– My job as been officially documented (by me) and all of the repetitive tasks I’ve been doing that anyone can do are now being passed to other people. It leaves me with more time to focus on what I can do for the team best.

-Overall while the term had ups and downs we have systems in place to move forward very quickly. Everyone’s on the same page and we are better equipped to move forward and create a FANTASTIC game!

-Next term my workload has diminished considerably freeing me up to work on senior project. (Supposedly but now is the time to be more positive)

-I have various plans on how to move forward with marketing.

Negative:

-Little nervous being apart from the whole team by the entire country, and three timezones. (timezones suck so much) while reconcepting and I am nervous I’ll fall off the map.

 

Tags:

Art, Design, team fancierfish, Jordie, meetings, animation

End of Act 1: Resh Week 11 Project Production Journal

 

 

So, today I can sum up what’s been done over the past few weeks months.

Start to finish, I had my hands in a lot of the processes, so I helped with map design, character design, helped set up the actual map in Unity, concepting, blah blah blah. I wrote other PPJ’s for that stuff. Instead, I’m going to reflect a little on how it all feels like it worked out:

In short, it worked out pretty well. Things felt a little slow at first, and they were. We dawdled on character designs for too long, and I let that happen despite my job being keeping us on task. We fell behind in some spots, but got almost completely back on track, and I feel like I did a good job at making sure we pointed in the right direction to move forward even if we weren’t where we wanted to be by the end of things.

Breakdown:

Creation of presentation build – 8 hours

Edits to presentation – 8 hours

Meetings – 4 hours

 

Total: 20 hours + a lot of crying