Ziyang`s Final WEEK Postmortem

Senior show was over yesterday. Back to view 9 months journey of senior project, we experienced lots of happy things and also some sad things in the progress. Be honest, I am actually not really excited to make Remote Raider. Since I am an animation student, I thought I can use what I learned to make an animation for senior project, but most animation students choose to make a game, so it left me no choice but joined a game team. However; since I made the decision I tried to be nice with others and did my best to achieve our goal, but the result is not quite like what I imagined at the beginning.  I would like to summary three most important right things and three wrong things.

The right things:

  1. We set up a meeting on every Saturday to gather all members work together, which makes easily to catch each member`s process and work quality.
  2. In order to finish all missing parts, we wrote on the whiteboard how many things we left in a meeting at the winter term.  We assign each member to do one part. It provided a clear overview of what particular things we need to do, and then we finished all very quickly.
  3. In editing our senior show PowerPoint, we finally mentioned all of our important things we need to talk for our game project after lots of changing and adjustment.

The wrong things:

  1. the schedule conflict happened in the team with high frequency. At first,  we set up a time to meet together but we always missed someone by tons of personal reasons. It led me very hard to follow our goal and objectives each week because we did not have an agreement with everyone who were doing what. Beside, not all of our members were passionate about doing this project. We planed that each member worked the senior project at home but there were always some situations, like health issue; schedule conflict, that slowed down our progress.  Later on, we added up a big meeting on Saturday to gather all members doing work together. This meeting significantly improved our efficiency but it was kind of late to figure out this solution (the second last week of winter term).
  2. We did not have a clear agreement in art style. Assets like character, map and trap were totally three different styles. Although, some of us realized this issue and we already proposed this issue on our group meeting back in fall, but our leaders did not treated it seriously. Even though, they realized how serious this issue was later, they still kept saying”we will figure out it later.”  It made me very confuse about what is more important than those obvious issues. By the ways, my modular pieces are not presented very well in the actual map.
  3.  We planed our game with a high ambition nine months ago, but we constantly lowered our goal and quality again and again during the process of making it by both technical problems and personal problems. At the beginning, we planed for six characters and then we turned down to four characters because our character designer submit designs very late. Also, in some weeks` objective, I had no idea what other members did. Also, I still think it`s better to make a fully 3D game than 2D game because we had at least three members in digm team were good at 3D modeling, rigging and animating, it`s a huge waste for our talent.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s